WORLD GOURMET SUMMIT 2018 THE DISCOVERY WGS
22nd edition explores and presents lesser-known cuisines, with Culinary Stars and Experts from over 10 countries across the globe
Asia’s most highly anticipated food and wine festival returns for its milestone 22nd year to take diners on exciting gastronomic expeditions from 2 to 29 April 2018. Under this year’s theme “The Discovery WGS”, diners are taken off the beaten track to experience some of the world’s exciting, lesser-known cuisines, presented by a stellar line up of culinary stars – young, up and coming, and established – representing countries from Asia, Eastern and Central Europe, and America.
Reaffirming Singapore as a dynamic international culinary hotspot, WGS presents no less than a sumptuous line-up of gourmet affairs, masterclasses, events and exclusive WGS menus at award-winning, and much-loved, dining establishments in Singapore. It is also an integral platform for local and international gourmet partners to showcase their fresh, premium, and unique products, which are expected to dazzle gourmands with unforgettable gastronomic experiences.
The 18th edition of the Awards of Excellence kicks off the annual festival on 3 April 2018. Widely regarded as one of the most respected accolades in Singapore and around the region, the prestigious ceremony honours more than 30 outstanding members of the Food and Beverage (F&B) and Hospitality industries, all of whom have been instrumental in shaping the culinary landscape in the region.
“For more than two decades, we have constantly presented some of the most vibrant and extraordinary of culinary experiences to Singapore’s diners. This year is no different – we are taking a journey of gastronomic discovery, presenting unique cuisines that are starting to trend globally but have yet to come into the spotlight here in Singapore,” said Peter A. Knipp, CEO of PKH Pte Ltd, who manages and curates the World Gourmet Summit event. “To appreciate food and drinks is one thing, but we can only truly be enriched by digging deeper into the roots of the world’s cuisines and the DNA of food.”
Masterchefs and Personalities
WGS 2018 welcomes an illustrious group of masterchefs and experts in the field who will be playing a part in enriching Singapore’s burgeoning food and beverage landscape. In addition to starring in the festival’s line-up of sumptuous events, they will also be hosted in some of the city’s most notable dining establishments. Guests can sample their distinctive culinary offerings during the Masterchef Dining Delights Promotion from 16 to 21 April.
Among the masterchefs coming to Singapore are Raymond Blanc, a legend in the French gastronomy world; Kevin Thornton, Ireland’s first to receive two Michelin-stars; Patrizia di Benedetto, the first and only current female Sicilian chef to be awarded the coveted Michelin-star; Ross Lusted, Australia’s two-hatted star chef; Artur Moroz, one of Poland’s top chefs and chef-owner of Bulaj; Yaroslav Artyukh the traditionalist Ukrainian rising star and Akira Back, Korean-born and US-raised, who has excited the culinary world with his bold interpretations of Asian fare with American influence.
Not only will diners enjoy sensational gastronomic experiences, they will also gain insights into some of the world’s biggest trending cuisines from Hispanic and Mexican food expert Juan Pablo and foremost authority on Hungarian food and wine, Csaba Harmath.
Luxurious Gourmet Events
Some of the city’s notable and award-winning establishments are hosting luxurious events and specially crafted dinners, as well as showcasing exclusive WGS menus.
Gourmet food lovers can also look forward to getting hands-on tips and culinary insights presented by both the visiting, and Singapore’s own masterchefs through various masterclasses and activities.
More WGS Signature Events to look out for:
- WGS The Discovery Brunch at Tamarind Hill on 8 April 2018. The best in the F&B industry comes together for one of the biggest gourmet parties of the year in our highly anticipated Sunday brunch. This is an affair for the most discerning of food lovers, with world-class cuisines and beverages in the spotlight.
- Hommage à Paul Bocuse with Julien Royer at Odette on 12 April 2018. The late great Paul Bocuse was a maestro before his time. One of the forefathers of “nouvelle cuisine”, his actions helped shape many of the contemporary styles we know today. In honor of him, chef prodigy Julien Royer will be serving a dinner – an interpretation of, and dedication to the legend’s peerless contribution to the culinary arts. Get ready for an exploration into the French cuisine like nothing you’ve experienced before on his home turf, Odette.
- A World of Cuisines at CHIJMES on 15 April 2018. Following the resounding success of last year’s inaugural UNGA event, this year’s event at CHIJMES will turn the cluster of restaurants and bars into a gourmet marketplace. Up to 40 stations will be manned by Singapore’s, and the region’s top experts to share information on products on offer. An excellent outing for foodies and families alike, UNGA promises to be a deliciously memorable experience.
- Peck @ Geese with Artur Moroz at Wooloomooloo Steakhouse on 17 April 2018. Enter Artur Moroz, one of Poland’s top chefs and owner of Bulaj, a restaurant located on the idyllic seaside town of Sopot. A supporter of the “Slow Food” movement, Chef Moroz fervently believes in sourcing ingredients from local suppliers and promoting healthy living through his food. He’s here to serve us a special dinner, an exploration of Polish culinary culture through one of its most ubiquitous staples: geese.
- Culinary Masterclass & Luncheon feat. Kevin Thornton at Miele Gallery on 17 April 2018, for only 12 guests. Irish celebrity chef, television personality, and author Kevin Thornton is here to share his vast culinary expertise: just don’t ask him to serve you chips! One of Ireland’s top chefs, Thornton made his name as an ardent champion and philosopher of Irish food. Be prepared to push your taste experience beyond the walls of the restaurant in this masterclass and luncheon that promises to be nothing less than deliciously entertaining.
- Mexico Fiesta at El Mero Mero on 18 April 2018. Everybody loves a good fiesta and Singapore’s top Mexican restaurant El Mero Mero throws the best. Don’t miss out on an evening of vibrant Mexican flavours as Chef Juan Pablo and his team whip up delectable nibbles and drinks, from home-made nachos and guacamole to ice cold margaritas.
- A Taste of Ukraine at Grissini, Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel on 20 April 2018. Let the talented Ukrainian, young traditionalist chef Yaroslav Artuykh, whisk you away in a night dedicated to the food and drink of his country. He’ll be serving a pairing menu of cocktails and delectable Ukrainian delights to introduce diners to their native cuisine.
- Hungry for Hungary at La Brasserie, The Fullerton Bay Hotel on 21 April 2018. This unique Hungarian dining experience is presented by Chef Péter Szabó of Budapest’s highly acclaimed La Parilla. Chef Szabó is known for crafting dishes that are considered art on the plate and made from lesser known ingredients. Diners are in for an unforgettable culinary experience with the robust flavours of Hungarian cuisine.
- See-Food Italian with Patrizia di Benedetto* at Gattopardo Ristorante di Mare on 21 April 2018. Take a detour from the typical Italian fare down to the island of Sicily and experience a whole new world of ingredients and traditions. True-blue Sicilian natives Lino Sauro, acclaimed chef of Gattopardo de Mare, and Patrizia Di Benedetto, the first Michelin starred woman of her region will be taking diners on a tour through the cuisine they call home, accompanied by a rich exposition of food by Italian food anthropologist Alessandra Gennaro.
WGS continues to support the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) into the third partnership year (having raised a total of more than S$8 million since 2000 for over 200 social service programmes) in the organisation’s quest to provide care for kidney patients and raise public awareness of kidney disease prevention. With Singapore having one of the highest rates of kidney failure cases; this support brings life and hope to needy patients.
During the Charity Gala Dinner, an auction will be carried out with all funds raised donated to the NKF. In addition to providing dialysis treatment, this fund will contribute towards education and prevention efforts. This is all done to raise awareness and curb the rise of kidney diseases such as diabetes and hypertension, which are the leading causes of kidney failure.
Joining this year’s WGS is premium partner, Swiss Education Group (SEG), the largest Swiss alliance of hospitality schools, whose alumni and students have the opportunity to utilise the summit as a networking platform. This partnership also encourages more local talents to further enhance their skillsets overseas through SEG, bringing world-class Swiss education to Singapore.
WGS proudly continues its partnership with award-winning Turkish Airlines, taking distinguished chefs from around the world to Singapore for Asia’s premier annual gourmet festival.
Information on WGS and all WGS 2018 events is available on http://www.worldgourmetsummit.com/. All reservations can be made online via Reservation Partner Chope through the WGS website.